NEW DISCREET SERVICE FOR SEXUAL HEALTH.
Any patients who have symptoms please contact your local
GUM Clinic (See Here)
Price: €100 PRIVATE PATIENT, €60 GMS PATIENT
When Should I have an STI screen?
It is advised that you have an STI screen if you have had unprotected sex, especially with an unknown partner or if you have any symptoms listed above. If a recent or present partner has been diagnosed with an STI or before each new sexual relationship if you have been previously sexually active. You may need regular screening if you are at high risk.
If you are worried about a particular exposure and you have NO symptoms, it is advised to wait 2 weeks before attending for screening.
**If you have any queries regarding the above information, please do not hesitate to contact us at Ayrfield Medical Practice at 0567721320 **
Is this confidential?
The law guarantees your confidentiality. Your clinical records cannot be shown to your doctor or insurance companies unless we have a signed request from you.
A Sexual Health Screen involves:
A consultation by a doctor or one of our nurse specialists who will take:
- Urine sample – tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea
- Blood sample – for H.I.V, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and Syphilis
- Depending on your symptoms, you may have swabs taken.
- Patients are advised not to pass urine for at least 2 hours before the screen in order to attain the optimal urine sample for testing.
- If you are worried about a particular exposure, and you have NO symptoms, it is advised to leave 2 weeks before you are screened.
Results take ten working days, you can arrange a consultation with the nurse/doctor to receive your results.
What are the symptoms of an STI?
- Vaginal/penile discharge
- Genital lumps
- Pain on passing urine/other urinary symptoms
- Genital sores or ulcers
- Pelvic pain
- Itching in the pubic/genital area
- None of the above!! ( STIs can have no symptoms at all but are still contagious)
Useful Web Pages:
At Ayrfield Medical Practice we recognise the importance of health screening and we offer referral to a range of screening services, ranging from Dexa scans, MRI to echocardiograms and exercise stress testing.
Some of the screening tests available onsite in the practice are…
- 24 Hour Blood Pressure Test
- Lung Funtion Test
- Cardiac Screening/ ECG
- Vision Tests
Health is your number one investment.